Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Using Old Windows

Transformation Tuesday - Post #6



Happy Tuesday!  Hope you're having a great day! 

Today I thought I'd talk about something near and dear to my heart... old windows.  They can be found in just about every room of our house!  I love them as stand alone wall décor, perched as a backdrop, used as a coat rack, a chalkboard.... and the list goes on and on!  Any "new" old window always has a home in this house! 

A few other great things about old windows....
1.  They come in all sizes.
2.  They are easy to come by in antique stores, flea markets, and yard sales.
3.  And best of all, they are easy on the wallet!  Affordable decorating! (Your husband can thank me now!) 

Here are some of the ways that I've transformed an old window and they can be seen in our house!

This one has a home in our foyer perched atop the cedar armoire.  It's a beautiful backdrop to all the other "goodies" up here.



This one you'll find hanging over the bed in our master bedroom.  It's dressed with just a simple "twiggy" wreath and a burlap bow.


Another one hangs in the laundry room.  I added a few small hooks (found at Lowe's) and another "twiggy" wreath.  Can you see a trend with the wreaths?!  I love the contrast of the natural tone of the wreath with the white window!


And this one (which happens to be my favorite) can be found hanging over the dresser (another DIY transformation) in our guest room.  I hung it horizontally, adding a shabby chic shelf, coat hooks, and a mirror.  Let me show you how I did that.....



This window I found at an antique store some time back for $5.  Of course it needed a good cleaning which also meant removing flaking paint.  (It's pretty evident that I should have used a drop cloth here but oh well....)
 

 
I started with a couple of shelf brackets that I purchased at Lowe's (around $3 ea) and a 1x8 board cut to fit across the top (or side, whichever way you want to look at it).  I  had the board in my scrap pile but it too can be purchased at Lowe's and they will cut it for you. (There are four brackets in these pictures and you'll see how I used the other two as you read on....)

 
I stained the brackets and shelf with Minwax in Provincial.  Once they were dry, I added a light coat of white ceiling paint not covering them completely. 
 


Next, I added some "G ring" picture hangers to the back of my window.  Added the coat hooks and then attached the shelf brackets using a couple of screws and the inset hanger found on the back of the bracket.  I then secured the shelf across the top using wood screws.


 


 And that's it!  A very simple and easy project but what an impact!




 
And here is how I used the other two brackets.....  This one I haven't hung yet but it will have a home real soon!
 
 

Here are a few other ideas from Pinterest for using old windows....

  

(What a great idea for a window missing the glass!)





 Hopefully you've found some inspiration to hang (or prop) a few old windows around your house.  I'd love to hear or see how you've used them!  Take care and have a great rest of the week!. 

P.S.  Next week I hope to start sharing some Christmas ideas with you!  It'll be here before you know it!









No comments:

Post a Comment