Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Burlap Memo Board

Transformation Tuesday - Post #3

 
It's Tuesday!  Hip Hip Hooray!  Guess what that means?  Another transformation tutorial!


  
Today is all about a DIY Burlap Memo Board.  I found this picture frame from a local thrift store for $1.20.  I know, right?  $1.20!  I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it but I knew for $1.20 it was going home with me. After looking at it closer, I realized that the back was pretty sturdy and in great shape so I wanted to somehow use it.  I had seen a few of these on Pinterest/Etsy and decided to give it a shot.

 

The first step was to take it apart and spray the frame with my favorite Krylon spray paint in white satin.  (There's that spray paint thing again.... if you've been following my blog, you know I am seriously in love with spray paint!  Somehow it seems to work it 's way into every project!)  Once the frame was completely dry, I distressed the edges with sand paper.  I got so engrossed in the project, I forgot to take a picture of this step...
 
Next I dug out a few other supplies:

Poly-Fil
Burlap
Tacky Spray
Jute String
Hot Glue Gun with Glue sticks
1/2" screws - 2

 
*the picture shows a stapler but I ended up not using it
 
I cut a piece of the poly-fil to cover the back leaving about 1" around the edges.  I sprayed the back (right side up) with a nice even coat of tacky spray and quickly smoothed the poly-fil over the back.

 

I then cut a piece of burlap; this time leaving about an 1 1/2"  around the edges.  I used the tacky spray again, spraying the poly-fil layer this time.  I smoothed the burlap over the poly-fil layer making sure that there were no wrinkles.



Next, I added the jute string crossing it over the front and back of the board.  I used painters tape to hold the jute string ends in place while I worked to make sure the string was tight and crossed where I wanted. 
 



I put the covered back into the frame securing it with the clips that were already there.

 
At this point, my intentions were to fold the burlap/poly-fil layer and secure it to the back and frame with staples.  After a few tries with the staple gun, I realized that my staples were a little too long.  So out came the hot glue gun.  I folded the burlap/poly-fil layer over and hot glued it to the back.  It worked perfectly!  (Oops!  There's not a picture of this step but you can see how it turned out in the next picture.)



I then used two 1/2" screws to secure the jute string ends to the frame.  This is a trick I use quite often... I wrap the string around the screw several times and tighten the screw to keep it in place.  (The reason I left the jute string ends a little longer is because as the board is used and the string loosens, I can loosen the screws and pull it to tighten it back up.)


A picture of the back once it was done.


And here it is all finished.  With a few small clothes pins, it's ready to be hung and cluttered with pictures, notes, or whatever!
 
 
If you're not quite a fan of burlap and jute string, you can certainly use this method with your favorite fabric and coordinating ribbon!  Of course, you could also embellish the frame and board with fabric flowers or other fun, cutesy stuff!  The possibilities are endless!
 
And that's it!  Thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram to keep up with new posts!  Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment