Tuesday, December 2, 2014

DIY Stocking

Transformation Tuesday - Post #9

Hi there!  I hope you all had an amazing Thanksgiving!  I certainly did!  I took a little break from blogging and projects to cook and spend time with family and friends.  And of course, I ate entirely too much!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around our house!  This little elf has been extremely busy decorating, crafting, shopping, and wrapping.  I love Christmas and I look forward to decorating every year.  This year I'm trying to keep it neutral and simple to avoid that cluttered feeling.  I hope to post a mini Christmas house tour soon.  I have just a few more things to finish up.

Keeping with my neutral décor, I decided to make a new stocking for my youngest son.  His from previous years was burgundy and that just wasn't going to work.  I've made several stockings in the past but remembered them being somewhat challenging so when I searched Pinterest for a tutorial, I was looking for one that was simple and easy to follow.  After reading through several, I decided on this one from http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2010/12/easy-stocking-tutorial-today.html



I modified the stocking size using this pattern from Positively Splendid.  I also added an additional five inches to the top as my cuff. 


I used a heavy cotton muslin for the outside body and black ticking stripe for the lining/cuff. 



I sewed the outside to the lining as per the tutorial.  This tutorial is so simple and easy to follow. 





I turned my stocking right side out, turned down the cuff, and added a 6" piece of cotton ribbon for the hanger.





It was that simple. Bonus....it only took about 30 minutes from beginning to end!  It looks great hanging from my cabinet door coat hanger.  You can find that tutorial here.




Think of the numerous possibilities and how many stockings you can sew up in just a few hours!  I also love the mini stocking idea as gift card holders, Christmas ornaments, small gift packaging, etc.

I hope you all have a happy and blessed Tuesday!  Thanks for stopping by!  Look for more holiday posts coming soon!

Jody



No comments:

Post a Comment