Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Pottery Barn Inspired Snowman Pillow

Transformation Tuesday - Post #7


  
  
Alright, alright .... I know!  Christmas Already????  I realize it's just November and we haven't even celebrated Thanksgiving yet but I am super excited about this post! 

While some of you have been planning your Thanksgiving meal, I've been getting a jump start on things this year and all the Christmas crafts and décor ideas I've got rattling around in my head!  I love all things Christmas and especially holiday décor!

While pouring through the Pottery Barn catalog, I saw this adorable snowman pillow cover.  Adorable.... but with a whopping price tag of $39.50!  After studying the picture, I decided that I would come up with my own version for little or nothing.

 

Here's how this little snowman pillow project idea came to life.....

I started with a piece of neutral colored cotton/muslin like fabric that I had left from another project.  I think it was around $3/yd. Sewing is not my forte so I pretty much stick to making envelope style pillow covers ( no zipper!).  There are a ton of tutorials out there for envelope pillow covers but here is one that is pretty easy to follow. 

I cut my fabric to size and marked the center of the cover with pens so that I would know where I needed to add my design.  I used just a regular #2 pencil and drew a rough sketch of the design right on the fabric.


 



Next, I broke out my acrylic craft paint.  I used black, metallic black, white, pearl white, red, and burnt umber.  I started by painting the snowman, mixing the paints with my brush for the shading and highlights.  I kept a picture of the Pottery Barn pillow handy using it as a guide.  It quickly came together! 


Of course, I am not an artist (not even close) and quite obviously it doesn't look exactly like the PB pillow.  Nonetheless, I love it and am quite proud of how it turned out!  Plus, I am $39.50 richer!

By the way, I choose to sew the cover together after I painted it.  I didn't want to waste my time sewing it if my painting skills didn't pay off!  (It happens to the best of us!)

It has found a home for the holidays on the bench next to our back door.  It looks quite festive with the "Baby..it's cold outside" chalkboard and scarf.  (Forgive the chalkboard art....I still need to work on that!)





 

This little pillow cover inspired me to do several more that hopefully I'll get around to sharing before the holidays!

There's only 50 days until Christmas!  I hope I've inspired some of you to break out your paint brushes and get your "artist" on! 

As always, thanks for listening to me ramble!

Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment