Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A Pumpkin (or should I say, Pumpkins) Makeover

Transformation Tuesday - Post #2

 
Hey Y'all!  How's everybody been?  Can I just say, I have been crazy busy!  It's been a good busy... doing a few projects for the blog, putting the final touches on my fall décor, and scouting area antique and rummage stores for some exciting treasures!  And of course, there has been the not so fun stuff like cleaning and yard work. Oh well, somebody's got to do it, right?!?
 
White pumpkins are "so in" this year!  And featured in a ton of fall décor pins on Pinterest.  Jumping on that band wagon, I thought I'd share how I gave my orange and green pumpkins a makeover to fit into my neutral décor.  I'll also show you how to give your orange pumpkins a little something something....



 
First gather up a few supplies. 
 
Here is a list of the supplies I used:
 
Plastic Pumpkins
Krylon White Spray Paint (satin finish)
Krylon Brushed Nickel Spray Paint (satin finish)
Matte Acrylic Clear Coat
Valspar Antiquing Glaze
Sponge Brushes
Rags
 
Lay your pumpkins out and spray them with a couple of coats of paint.  Here I painted three pumpkins white and three pumpkins in the brushed nickel finish. 


 

 
After letting them dry completely, layer on a coat of the Valspar antiquing glaze. I used a sponge brush but an old rag or cheesecloth works well too.  Be sure to get it into all the little grooves. Allow it to dry for about 10 minutes before beginning to wipe or dab away the excess, leaving some of it in the grooves to give them definition.  (A little tip:  If the glaze is hard to remove, add a little baby oil to your rag.)



The glaze adds an aged look and lessens the starkness of the white and nickel finish. 



Once they are completely dry, spray them with the matte clear acrylic for durability. 

 
And here's a few pics of the finished product.....
 





 
They turned out beautifully and are just what I had in mind for my fall décor!
 
I also wanted to show you how, just by adding the antiquing glaze, this plastic orange pumpkin looks more realistic and the starkness of the orange disappears.  It gives it so much more character.
 



 
 
Have fun giving your pumpkins a makeover!  Happy Tuesday!
 


 
 
 
 
 







 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment